Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,uk.food+drink.misc
Tom Anderson

Default Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?

On Sat, 6 May 2006, David P wrote:

On 06 May 2006, Dave
wrote:

On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:34:13 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

|Raising the water to 60 C kills about 95% of the bugs in seconds.

That temperature is actually *82* deg C to kill food poisoning bugs
Some food poisoning bugs breed nicely below 64 deg C

I think amino-acids/proteins get denatured (and becoma deformed beyond
use) at about 62 degrees.

Depends on the protein - there's quite a variation in denaturation
temperature, and it depends on the chemical environment etc. 60-odd
degrees is in the right area, though.

I thought that was the basis for saying that food (eggs, meat, etc) must
be cooked over approx 62 C.

That's because that's the sort of temperature where collagen denatures,
becoming gelatin, which is how cooking softens meat. I believe collagens
from different kinds of animals have different conversion temperatures - i
ISTR 58 C for fish and 65 C for mammal meat.

tom

--
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.