Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Microwave Won't Cycle On/Off

On 5 May 2006 06:11:11 -0700, wrote:

*******

I was assuming that under normal mode (high?), the microwave cycles,

I don't think so.

but apparently, it runs continuously. The problem I am having is that
I used to be able to heat a cup of water to near boil in about 3
minutes. Now when I heat 3 minutes, the water is boiling furiously.

So how could 100% of the time be hotter than it was before, and the
problem be the cycling?

I know they are different, but I"m sure a cup of water in my
microwave would also be boiling furiously at 3 minutes. This simple
test of yours seems like a good one, but given the confusing result,
it doesn't seem sufficient.

If you want to know when the microwaves are running, put a radio next
to it set to a weak AM station. (Or perhaps a strong AM station but
tuned off-frequency (haven't tried that.))

When you get more static, the magnetron is on.

You can also test other than full power this way. Any power less than
full power will cycle and you can tell by the static in the radio.

Either the normal mode was doing some cycling and now it is not or the
magnetron is now putting out more energy (is this likely?).