Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default Sharpening a roundnose scraper backwards

On Wed, 3 May 2006 19:00:00 -0500, "Walter H. Klaus"
wrote:

Has anyone attempted to sharpen a scraper in the reverse direction, in order
to raise a burr?

Nope. But I do see a pronounced burr grinding them the "standard" (if
there is such a thing) way.

But if you're looking for a sharper tool for the finishing cuts, I'm
still a really big fan of a carbon steel scraper. They don't stay
sharp nearly as long as a fancy HSS one, but boy do they shear fibers
smoothly- and they're cheap. I'd worry about a ragged burr from
stretching the metal by sharpening upside down, and my inclination is
to go with the metal that gets sharper if I want a smoother or more
agressive cut.

Then again, there are no set rules for any of this. Give it a try,
and let us know how it works.