Posted to rec.knives,rec.crafts.metalworking
Knives

Default fillet knife blade's geometry?

Most fillet knives are too bendy in my opinion. The fillet knife I was most
impressed with ever was lost.
It was made from a blank by Bob Engnath and the reason I liked it so much
was because it was about 50% stiffer than any other.
Bob made it that way without any prompting on my part but when I queried him
on it he surprised me by making a passionate statement about how fillet
knives were too floppy and therefore lacked control.
The spine was a full 1/8 inch thick near the handle, flat ground with a full
length distal taper all the way to the point so the flexibility changed
depending on if you were working near the tip or the handle. If you were
working on a small delicate fish you could take advantage of the flexibility
at the tip and if the fish was bigger you could use the blade closer to the
hilt and take advantage of the extra stiffness. This way you had a range to
work with. I gave it a rolled edge. I don't think fishermen care if the
blade is scratched.
Also the average fillet knife is about 3 inches too short
Daithi

wrote in message ...
wrote:
15 degrees at the edge and thin enough to that point that the 15
is not a huge transition from body to edge.
In other words if you are not carefullly holding 15 degrees your
abrasives will

That's exactly the sort of insight/opinion we're looking for!

Anyone else got an opinion?

Alvin in AZ