Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

Default Qx on a Joint - Wood Joint That Is

On Fri, 05 May 2006 13:26:52 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

SNIP
Make the
cross-piece about 4 times as wide. The single dovetail is plenty strong and
when it has a wide shoulder on each side of it - that will help prevent any
front-to-back racking.

SNAP

Bob:

Thanks - good thought.

I increased the cross pieces to 1.5" and, as an added element, squared
off the routed pins with a chisel. That way there's no need to
undercut the tails. The shoulders are about 6X wider now, the tails
are about 2X thicker at their smallest dimension, and I'm more
comfortable.

I got a lot of advice on reducing the sizes of posted pics (not
unwelcome, but some of the technical details were a bit simplistic. I
mean, I could have erred and posted rasterized images), some not so
uesful advice on how not to store wine (I currently have a few over 3K
bottles in the cellar, mostly Premier Cru Bordeaux of the 80's and
90's), and one good idea that answered my question - yours.

Good advice is worth what you pay for it, sometimes it's free.

Care for a glass of '82 Piche Lalande Comtesse, a '78 Mouton, or
possibly (OMG) a Yqem of the '49?

Regards.

Tom