Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

Default My new CHERRY dining table is finished!

"todd" wrote...
I don't know that I agree with your statement on sapwood. Take a look at
this link
http://www.lf.org/artisansgallery/ag.html

IIRC, this piece is cherry, and I think effective use was made of the
contrast between heartwood and sapwood.

I agree with you; that piece is really nice. I've done similar things using
50% heartwood & 50% sapwood with walnut, and the contrast between the light
and dark was pleasing to me.

Around these parts, I get called on to make mostly traditional pieces, and
in those cases the sapwood wouldn't be appropriate.

Other side of the coin, a lot of folks in this area like really dark
cordovan stains on cherry. In these cases you can't see the sapwood anyway;
it stains up and looks just like the rest of the piece.

In other words, never use cherry sapwood unless you feel like it. 8^)

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm