Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Sprocket on keyed or splined shaft?

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:55:02 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
I used to make clutch adapters for power takeoff from big Cat engines.
These involved taper lock hubs. The hubs were keyed to the shaft AND
to the the clutch adapter. The clutch adapter was basically a 14 to 18
inch dia (HP dependent) flywheel with a tapered bore that matched a
taperlock hub. I bored the flyhweel with the taper, broached a 3/8
keyway using a tapered broach guide (hadda make that too), then
installed the taperlock hub into the flywheel. This assembly was then
locked to a shaft in the lathe and the flywheel faced one last time to
insure no runout. It looks like this solution might work for you. You
can bore the sprocket for the taper by using the taperlock as a gauge.
You can broach it in the lathe if you are only doing one. If you have
the sprocket located by a spline or keys and don't harden both the
spline and sprocket it will beat itself to death very fast. Any slop
which allows the sprocket to work with and against the rotation will
wallow out the softer parts. Not only that, but as it gets worse it
will transmit potentially damaging shocks to other parts of the
system.
ERS

I see how to do it, thanks! It's these minor set-up problems that kills
production for way too long. I have to make sure it's so simple an
opperator can do the set-up.