Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Gordon

Default OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

Last year, when they occasionally ran an adjunct program called "Extreme
Makeover Home Edition. How'd They Do That?" I thought we were going to get
a little more insight into what goes on in the pre-planning stages of the
show. That show did focus a bit more on the construction than on the sob
story of the family, and we did see some behind-the-scenes stuff like the
fact that scenes such as the one where the design team shows up at the front
door with the bullhorn often have to be re-shot, but they never really got
away from the myth that all of the magic just materializes on day one. They
also have not done anything to dispell the myth that so many of the great
things that happen on the show are a result of Ty Pennington picking up his
cell phone and placing a call to "a friend." One somewhat surprising thing
I got from that show, however, is that it would appear that Ty really does
take a major role in the design and construction of his "secret project"
room.

Unfortunately, "How'd They Do That?" is about as close as we're likely to
get to seeing what goes on behind the scenes. Anything more revealing than
that (i.e. how many months in advance the preliminary work begins, how they
apply for and receive a building permit in a small town without the word
getting out, how they arrange for a guy to take a week of vacation without
his boss spilling the beans, etc.) would be a little like pulling away the
curtain and revealing the true nature of the Wizard of Oz.

Lee

Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com