Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce

Default For outdoor redwood chair: polyurethane? oil? ???

I've had some redwood (patio cover) out in the southwest sun and UV coated
with Penofin. Still looks great after 3 years compared with some unfinished
wood.

On Fri, 5 May 2006 13:27:08 -0600, Jerry wrote
(in article .com):

I know you have a lot of responses to this but let me put in my 2
cents.

I recently completed a redwood english garden bench out of clear all
heart redwood.

I would recommend an oil finish as it can be easily renewed on a
periodic basis as it is absorbed rather than a film and thus does not
need to be stripped off.

I would not recommend film finish (varnish, (poly)urithane,ete.) just
because it is a lot of work to strip off the old when time to refinish.

With oil, just apply a new coat every 1-2 years depending on your
environment.

My conclusion after doing my own research on the best way to finish
redwood for outdoor furniture use.