Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

Default OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

writes:

I think this TV show lies to the public at least on one aspect: they
have work prepared already before showing up at the door of the lucky
family. The design and the construction dwgs are already made minus
maybe a few details, the prefab house has been ordered already and
ready to ship, etc.

Anyone would have to be crazy to think they don't have 95% of the project
preplanned before they start. You don't get a building permit and line
up a contractor and 100s of workers overnight.

I'm sure they interview relatives and friends to find out what the
families like beforehand. I'm also certain they have the blueprints
drawn beforehand. Thay would have to for permitting and such.

They used to do silly things like claim they have no house and then the
next day a prefab house shows up from Canada. No way anyone builds a
prefab house overnight, let alone ship it from Canada. I noticed they
quit doing this silly stuff.

It is still an interesting TV show. They really ought to do a show that
shows how they go from picking a family all the way to the door knock and
everything in between that happens before the week of building.

Brian Elfert