Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak

Default Drill chuck for Radial Arm Saw

Tom Cavanagh wrote:
I've got an older Craftsman RAS which I bought a Jacobs 1/2" chuck with 5/8"
thread for mounting. I don't think I'd attempt routing with it either but
it does work well for drilling holes in long pieces. Might not be worth the
expense for limited use. YMMV
Tom
"willshak" wrote in message

I have an old Craftsman 10" Radial Arm saw. I want to get a drill chuck
that will screw onto the threaded shaft that the saw blades are attached
to. I guess it is 5/8" diameter. I only want to attach router bits. Does
anyone know what chuck I should be looking for? I'm just an occasional
woodworker, so I don't need a high end chuck.
Excuse any incorrect nomenclature. I call everything "whatchamacallits"

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Thanks for all who responded for the info. I have a drill press, and a
router and router table. I was just lazy about mounting the router in
the table whenever I had to do some routing. I don't have a big shop. As
a matter of fact, I don't have a shop at all, it's just a 12' x 16' shed
that shares the space with everything else that will fit in there,
including a tractor, other power equipment, and other lawn and garden
tools. The shed is fed by a heavy duty extension cord from the garage
next door. Whenever I have to use something, I have to move other stuff
to get to it. The radial arm saw is the most accessible, doesn't have to
be moved, and doesn't have a lot of stuff piled on it. :-)