Posted to rec.woodworking
Pete C.

Default Insulating a drop ceiling...

bremen68 wrote:

Howdy all...Here's the situation. I'm currently working on the plans
for a redo on my daughters room. (She's 15 months old so has no input,
though I'm quite certain she'll make up for this later in life)

The room has a drop ceiling. The gap between the drop ceiling and the
original ceiling is about 8 or so inches. The area on the third floor
above this room is a storage area in the eves of the roof with no
insulation. The attic/third floor was made into a bedroom by former
owners and during the remodeling they made the eve areas storage.
There's insulation between the storage and attic room now, with really
thin insulation on the roof.

What I'm thinking is to glue styrofoam insulation to the original
ceiling to help control the temp in her room. The "discussion" my
father-in law and I are having is if gluing the foam to the original
ceiling would work better than letting it lay on the top of the drop
ceiling. I think letting it just lay on the ceiling isn't really gonna
do that much good because I'm going to have to cut it into strips to
get it between the hanger wire used for the drop ceiling. This is
going to leave enough air gaps that it's pretty much a waste of time
and energy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks.

You're not supposed to put anything on top of a drop ceiling (including
light fixtures which have to be independently supported). Gluing
insulation to the ceiling would be the proper way to do it if you have
to insulate inside the room.

Why can't you just insulate the joist cavity in the storage area above
the room properly and remove the (generally ugly for a bedroom) drop
ceiling?

Pete C.