Posted to rec.woodworking
Max

Default Latex paint over spar varnish?

wrote:

So, since you have no financial interest in this, can you shed some
specific light on this pattern business? Can you give me an idea of
how you like the machine besides that, and maybe an idea of what
materials you have sprayed with it?

Thanks a million.

Robert

Robert,
I just got the sprayer about a month ago and have only used it for the prime
coat (exterior oil based) on the door I'm refinishing.
But I do like it. The gun has enough adjustments (material flow, air flow,
pattern, etc) to allow close operation and narrow pattern. The article in
Wood magazine is not the first to seem hastily written (and likely not the
last). I think most tools require a little "tinkering" with to get the best
performance. My experience with conventional spray guns is an advantage in
the "learning" process with the HVLP.
I can't make a meaningful comment on the noise since the Fuji is the only
turbine operated unit I've used.
However, one of my sons, who has been around other units, claims that my
Fuji is quite a bit quieter (maybe "less noisy" would be more accurate).
I intend to use an oil based finish on the door but I need to spray a garage
door (10X7)
and I will be using latex. I'll let you know how it works out.

Max
(my e-mail address is obvious, just drop the "not")