Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.chem,uk.food+drink.misc
nightjar

Default Safe to drink boiled water from hot tap?

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

snipped

A kettle does not boil water long enough to disinfect it. Why not put
less
water in the kettle to begin with? If you do this regularly, you should

have
a fair idea of how much water you will need.

Colin Bignell

===============================
Just to be clear.....

I assume that you mean a kettle with an automatic switch which switches
off
after a few seconds of boiling. Other non-automatic kettles can surely
boil for the 5 minute period mentioned by another poster.

Indeed, but non-electric kettles are very much in the minority and I wonder
whether one with an external heat source would have enough water left to
make a cup of coffee after filling the bowl, then boiling for another five
minutes.

Colin Bignell