Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don't contact John Deere........UC Davis Ag Engineering Dept would be
the place to start.

I have no doubt that great minds are working on new ideas like strawberry
picking machines. If UC Davis invents one, they won't be the ones building
it, though. Meanwhile, it's too late - I got a note back from Deere. Where
he says "see below", there was a picture of a experimental-looking
contraption out in a field:

===========
Mr. Kanter: Thank you for your inquiry and interest in John Deere.
I am not aware of any experimental or developmental efforts by John Deere in
conjunction with a strawberry harvester.
I have seen strawberry harvesters (see below) As I recall this was at
Michigan State University?
I have also heard of raspberry harvesters which are made a by Korvan. I fact
Korvan Industries (Oxbo International) makes many harvestring products. You
may want to explore the Korvan web site at this link:
http://www.korvan.com/
Thank you,
Wade Malcolm
Deere & Company - Agricultural Equipment Division
One John Deere Place
Moline, IL. 61265
===========

The Korvan site was interesting, although their machinery is focused on
raspberries, blueberries and grapes. My 17 yr old son was looking over my
shoulder as I looked at the site last night. I asked him why he thought this
company had nothing to pick strawberries. He knew why, and he's as much a
gardener as I am an astronaut, so I'm sure you'll figure it out, too.

I like blueberries & cranberries.

maybe we could import the berries rather than the berry pickers?

We already do, but more for the juice & preserves market than for fresh use.

cheers
Bob