Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
M.J.

Default Super Nova vs. Oneway Chucks

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi John

The real difference between those chucks is the jaws profile, they al
have tapered gears, either inside or on the wrench, the self centering
metal chucks have them also and they are inside the chuck body, and a T
style wrench is inserted to tighten or open them.
Some wood chucks have the gears captured and a T wrench is used to
operate them, and some have the gear right on the wrench, not much of a
difference if they are well made and fit.
Some wood chucks are closed and some are open, while the chuck is
turning very little if anything will get inside the chuck, if it's
open, any dust and shavings that get inside are flung out in my
experience, if closed, it is trapped and if it has the captured gears
there is another place for debris to get stuck.
I do not spray turnings with any finish while on my lathe, if you do
that than that sticky stuff will hold shavings and dust, and it will
gum up the works.
Both the Nova and the Oneway are good chucks, but my preference goes
with the Oneway chucks, for the patented shape of the jaws, it gives
you a size flexibility that none of the other chucks have, and the
reason I use both the Oneway Stronghold and the Talon for wood turning
and use a couple of metal chucks for metal turning.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

But Leo you forgot the one most important caveat ...... (A hush fell over
the crowd as they waited with bated breath) Oneway jaws crush wood........
!!! There George I saved you the trouble.....

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr