Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Default Sharpening a roundnose scraper backwards

(dare, dare not, dare, dare not; oh ****)
I would think that to be right, - if they are sufficiently dull.
I sharpen my scraper (yes, I have only one) to a bevel of
about 80 degrees, and finish the flat side with a diamond hone.
It cuts off hairthin shaves with almost no breakage of fibers
in the problem spots when presented to the wood like
a cutting iron.

I would think, also, that the metal of your scrapers would
have to be rather soft to form this burr you are talking about?

BjarteR

I have seen some 'scrapers' sharpened to 60°, but then its no longer a scraper,
but a chisel, isn't it? I know of others who remove the burr like you. Still
other who remove the burr caused by grinding only to put a burr back on with a
burnisher. We know from your description that you are using the tool to scrape,
and not to cut, by your description of how you hold the tool (handle tilted
upward slightly). Grinding produces burrs regardless of the metallurgy. The
size of the burr depends on how your present the steel to the stone.

Dan