Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

Default My new CHERRY dining table is finished!

"stoutman" wrote...

I was dissapointed when they first started appearing during face jointing,
but now I like them. What is a pitch pocket anyway?

Pitch pockets, afaik, are little deposits of sap and minerals. They, and
pin knots, are considered acceptable on fine cherry furniture; sapwood, of
course, is not.

Since we have it in front of a window, I guess it could
darken faster at one end? How often should we rotate it?

It will definately darken much more quickly on the window end. I would be
obsessive about turning it every few days for a couple of months, and
definately wouldn't leave anything sitting on the top for a few months. A
sheet of paper sitting on the top in the sun for two days will leave a very
noticable tan line! Until the table darkens - the color will become more
stable and darken much more slowly after a few months in the sunny window.

Enjoy!

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm