Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default My Crooke's Radiometer Revisited

For those who put up with my blathering about what might be screwing up
my 10+ year old radiometer a few weeks ago, here's "the rest of the story."

I gave up and plopped down $8.95 (Plus S&H) for a brand new radiometer.
It's now sitting on the kitchen window sill spinning like an NPR news
anchor when a little bit of sun falls on it.

http://radiometer.hobbytron.com/Radiometer.html

Interestingly, the cardboard disk glued on its base bears eggsackly the
same wording in the same type font as my old one, right down to the
bottom line where the old one declared "Made in China" and the brand new
one says "Made in India".

I tucked the old radiometer away where my heirs will find it and
undoubtedly chuck it out. I just couldn't bring myself to bust it open
to see whether the needle pivot was no longer as sharp as it needed to
be and maybe creating too much friction drag.

I guess I'll never really know just why the old radiometer "wore out".
I'll just have to blame it on old age.

Sort of like what this homo sapiens is finding out about himself, as I
get older everything either dries up, leaks or breaks. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Life is like toilet paper; it runs out faster the closer you get to the
end of the roll."