Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Sprocket on keyed or splined shaft?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
I'm no machine designer, but I would think that impact would not be
good on any small sliding fit like a spline or multiple keys. How
about separating the functions: : use a split tapered bushing for
locking the sprocket (proven to work), and a keyed co-axial
"locating" hub affixed to the sprocket that maintains rotational
position when adjusting axially but leaves actual lockdown to the
split tapered bushing once it's axially located correctly?

I see it! Simple, robust and accurate...you ARE a machine designer!