Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

Default Sprocket on keyed or splined shaft?

On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:55:02 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I've used split tapered bushings to mount the sprocket to the shaft and it
works great, but I have to move the sprocket with a size change and
re-timing the cam is a bitch. If I put the sprocket on a key with a set
screw, I think it will booger-up the key and such quickly. Do you think if
I use multiple keys or splines I can let the sprocket float without a
fastener? Timing is +/- maybe 2 degrees. Makes sense to me and that scares
me. If so, how many / how big keys?

If it's of any value to you,I have on on a piece of
equipment splined sprockets #60. with set screws.
Carries a significant load at high speed. It's
been in service 40 years.

Don't run without set screws, use at least two.
Splined shafting, hubs ect should be standard off the shelf items.

ED