Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default A basic lighting question

On 4 May 2006 08:48:29 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

The
builders just installed basic ceiling roses with the plastic 8 slot
connectors plus metal earth connector.

Did they wire them up?

I've ascertained how to wire up the new light fittings using connectors
so that I'm left with just the single Live and Neutral wires (plus the
earths).

Presumably you have connected all the leads within the new fittings
to a terminal block.

However, because there are up to 5 cables involved, there are
too many wires to fit into single connectors.

That's a lot of cables. There should be four terminals to wire up a
light, live, neutral, earth and switched live. How many wires go to
each terminal depends on the layout.

I think I'm right in
saying that I could daisy-chain these connectors until I'm left with 1
wire for each - but I decided instead to remove the plastic connector
strip from the rose and re-use it as well as the separate metal
connector block from the rose for the earths.

Depending on the circumstances the best approach may be to leave the
existing ceiling rose wiring to look after itself and take the
switched live, neutral and earth to a terminal block that also has
the wires from the lamps in it. This might all fit in the enlarged
ceiling rose cover of some fancy light fittings.

I would have liked to have pushed this connector strip up above the
ceiling plasterboard, as well as the earth connector,

Doing so is illegal. Not only are you exposing people to a shock
hazard but there is a chance you may burn the house down as the
connections are not in a fire resistant enclosure.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh