Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba satellite USB Ports Broken Need help

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

For those wondering how the USB ports got broken, its becasue the
Laptop is used by several users and they all like to use pocket
drives. It appears that the pocket drives get bumped when moving the
laptop around. I've instructed them to never move or carry the laptop
with the pocket drives plugged in, anymore. We'll see how long the
next ports last.

Most of the broken USB connectors I see are from wireless USB mice.
People tend to forget that the receiver is stuck in the back of the
laptop. They then shove the laptop into the carrying bag and bang it
around a bit. Instead of the cheap mouse receiver destroying itself,
the USB connector peels itself off the motherboard. Trying to get

The Best one I saw was an almost new laptop that had the centre contact
support broken out of one of the USB connectors somehow. Then the owner
accidentally plugged the power supply plug into the broken USB connector
while blindly reaching around the back, yes it was a good fit! Much
smoke poured forth and the Laptop played dead however after a reset it
worked fine, minus one port of course.. to the relief of the overseas
travelling owner!