Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim

Default Sharpening a roundnose scraper backwards

"Dan Bollinger" skrev i melding
m...
I bought a round nose scraper from Packard and the instructions
that came
with it advised sharpening it backwards/upside down. The
results work fine
for me when taking those final light cuts.

I watched Eli Avisera sharpen his that way.

Right. It causes a burr to form, which does the scraping. The
other way to make a burr is to form one using a burnisher.
Scrapers remove wood by... scraping, not cutting.

(dare, dare not, dare, dare not; oh ****)
I would think that to be right, - if they are sufficiently dull.
I sharpen my scraper (yes, I have only one) to a bevel of
about 80 degrees, and finish the flat side with a diamond hone.
It cuts off hairthin shaves with almost no breakage of fibers
in the problem spots when presented to the wood like
a cutting iron.

I would think, also, that the metal of your scrapers would
have to be rather soft to form this burr you are talking about?

BjarteR