Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sharpening a roundnose scraper backwards

Hi there

I think we are comparing apples with oranges here, the problem is with
the different metals, they do not behave the same under the same
conditioning, some will flow better than others depending what and how
much other metals are in the steel we have.

Almost all the tool steels are developed for the metal industry, and
cutting metal is a lot different than wood.

So rather than going into the metallurgy and guessing what is in your
steel, and how it might behave, I would say try to grind the tool first
the normal way, and than another way, compare and go from there, my
experience with my scrapers is it takes 2 seconds to sharpen and 2
seconds to get them dull again, I don't turn off my grinder if I want
to get a fair surface, and take longer between sharpening if I have to
just get some bulk out of there.

As for the negative rake on scrapers, it works a lot like holding a
scraper with it's nose down steeply, but without getting the tool
jammed between the tool rest and the wood, or as using a scraper
freehand in the 7 o'clock positioning to cleanup the outside of a
turning, just makes for a less dig in prone scraper, thats my take on
it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo