Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop

Default another vacuum pump FA

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 May 2006 07:19:08 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

If ya have a jet 1442, it's the big ass thing sticking out that gets in
your way
when you are face plate turning.. *g*
(conveniently positioned directly in the dust and shaving path)

At least yours blows the dust away from the operator, and doesn't hang so
far out as to demand a couple feet of extra floor space like the 3000.

One thing Ol' Blue had going for him was the motor hanging under the
stand,
out of the way.

I've noticed that in the pictures of the Nova, but I think i'd prefer
that..
sort of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, I guess..
I got spoiled by the mini with the motor tucked underneath the bed, I
guess..

Another pet peeve on the motor placement on the 1442 is that it catches a
lot of
shavings and dust between the motor and the headstock that has to be
cleaned
often... and I try not to do it with the compressor because my shop is
messy
enough now without blowing crap all over the place..
Mac

I use a commercially-produced, behind-the-turning-stock collector scoop
attached to my dust collection system, Mac. When blowing off the headstock
and other parts with compressed air, I just pull the 4" hose off the scoop
and hold it behind whatever I'm blowing off. Keeps the wife happy not to
have dust everywhere.

Max