Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default Jet mini opinions: VS or not?

I'm another vote for the non-VS - I have two lathes, one of which is a
Nova Comet - it's the size of the jet mini, but the motor was sold
separately so I got the lathe and then picked up a washing machine
motor for $5 - I think I got a slightly better machine for about $100
less that way.

that said, as I recall, I wired the motor with a reversing switch (I
say it that way because I only use the little lathe for pens now and
haven't tuned it on in about a year) - the 1/4 hp washing machine
motor has plenty of power for that size lathe (and is more powerful,
it seems than the motor supplied with the jet, which has a higher HP
rating). On a small lathe like that,if you need a lower speed you are
turning too big an object. When I wanted a really slow speed for
uniformly drying laquer or other finish without drips, I used a BBQ
motor and a piece of rubber hose jammed into the hole through the
spindle to turn it at a steady slow speed.

My metal lathe has a reeves drive (and I added a VFD to get 3 phase to
run it) - the reeves drive is noisy - I'd much rather have step
pulleys.

On Thu, 04 May 2006 07:19:39 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

I'm helping my brother get back into turning and he's pretty sure that the Jet
mini is what he wants...
His problem is that he likes the size and low noise level of the mini but sort
of likes the reeves drive on my Jet 1442... but no store that we went to had a
mini with VS to look at..

Has anyone had experience on the mini with AND without the reeves?

I really can't be objective, since I've had a Shopsmith for years and both it
and the 1442 have the reeves type while my mini doesn't...

Anyone here that has used both and has pro/con comments?

thanks..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com