Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson

Default Protection Diodes On the Dick Smith Meter

On 2006-05-03 08:10:51 -0700, said:

I would like to get this modification installed on my meter. Will this
type of diode do the job:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/RH/RHRD660S.pdf

How many will I need and what is the proper method of installing?

Actually I am now adding a MOV to all my Bob Parker (DS) ESR kits. I
then tested the shop ESR kit to 350VDC @20MA with no ill effects. Not
that I recommend you try this - after all I have a lot of spare parts
if something goes wrong...still, it is nice to still let the kit test
batteries ESR (you can check gel-cell batteries to see how they are).

I sell the MOV for $5US including postage to Canada/USA, or you can get
one from Digi-Key or somewhere. I used a 28V 500A unit...

http://flippers.com/esrkthnt.html For the MOV story...and scroll tot he
bottom for some ideas on testing batteries.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call