Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default Drill guide

"Gerald Ross" wrote: I have a problem drilling the hole for a woodworm
screw perpendicular to the blank, causing the blank to wobble.
To help me, I made a drill guide. (clip)
There is another part to the problem, and I would like to know whether you,
or others, have any suggestions.

It's similar to the alignment problem of starting a tap in metal. Before it
is started, the Woodworm can be off axis a little. I rely on feel and sight
to try to get it close. Once it starts, if it is off axis, it generally is
not going to be self-aligning. If the wood hits the chuck jaws on one side
first, what do you do? Go back and restart? Tighten it a lot and hope for
the best?

Or, doesn't this happen to you?