Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Qx on a Joint - Wood Joint That Is

"Tom Banes" wrote in message

http://web2.airmail.net/xleanone/ind...l/Wine%20Rack/

My question: is are the joints' tails strong enough? The wood is QS
Sycamore. The tails measure about 5/16 square at their bases (smallest
dimension) and are about 3/8 in length.

Considering the weight of 24 bottles of wine, I'd have something beefier and
more of them. You have about 39 pounds of liquid, plus another 25 or so of
glass.

I'd also encourge putting the wine in a cooler place. Top of the fridge is
about the worst possible ploace aside from next to the oven. Aside from
damaging good wine, how practical is it to place or remove bottles at that
height? What are the chances of dropping one?

Should I recut the tails and/or pins and tails both to get more wood
in the joints? It'll be a PITA, but I have extra stock for the braces,
so it can be done.

Nah, use the ones you have, just add a bunch more.