Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelley Mascher

Default Rockwell-Delta 10 inch lathe spindle taper?

According to a Rockwell machine tool catalog from 1967, the spindle
taper is "modified (shortened) No. 9 B. & S."

Cheers,

Kelley

On Thu, 04 May 2006 06:55:54 -0600, Trevor Jones
wrote:

I have a 10 Rockwell-Delta 10" metal lathe in my garage.

It has a non-standard taper (I think) in the spindle. Not morse, in any
case.

Anybody able to tell me what the taper should be? I had thought that I
had read it to be a B&S 9 taper, but tthe measurments dont jive. Larger
than an MT3, smaller than an MT4, and looks too shallow a taper to be
B&S.

I have measured as best I could, the taper on the very rough looking
adapter that came with it, and it looks to be 2.5 degrees included
angle, or around .48" per foot, based on the inch that I was able to
measure. This does not seem to match any of the tapers in Machinery's
Handbook.

Anyone got a reference that gives the taper? It's not given in the
factory book that came with the lathe.

My intent is to grind down a MT4 to MT2 taper sleeve so that the
outside matches the machine spindle, using the T&C grinder at work. This
should allow the future owner to utilise MT2 centers and tooling in the
spindle.

I plan on selling it when it's ready to go.

Cheers
Trevor Jones