Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Rockwell-Delta 10 inch lathe spindle taper?

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Thu, 04 May 2006 06:55:54 -0600, Trevor Jones
wrote:

I have a 10 Rockwell-Delta 10" metal lathe in my garage.

It has a non-standard taper (I think) in the spindle. Not morse, in any
case.

Anybody able to tell me what the taper should be? I had thought that I
had read it to be a B&S 9 taper, but tthe measurments dont jive. Larger
than an MT3, smaller than an MT4, and looks too shallow a taper to be
B&S.

snip
I'd recommend two approaches. One, call Royal and ask them. If they
make a collet adapter for it, they'll know. Two, try out with
prussian blue whatever tapers you have on hand which are fairly close.
One of them may fit, at least over part of the length. For instance,
my Delta-Rockwell 11" is a short section of the same taper dimensions
as the back half of a MT5. A lot of other lathe tapers are 4-1/2.
Yours might be the back half of an MT4.

Pete Keillor

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I'll scrounge up an MT4 sleeve and give that a try. From my initial
measurments, it is tapered at a slower rate than the Morse series and
the B&S series tapers.
Tony Griffith's site says it will take a 4C collet in the spindle,
though I am uncertain as to whether that would need an adaptor or not,
and I do not have any handy to check with. I suppose I could print out
the dimensions and bang out a reasonable facsimile to check with.

Cheers
Trevor Jones