Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Craven Morehead

Default Swimming Pool Pump - 2 Questions

Matt,

Have the "start capacitor" replaced. If you have a "Leslie's Pool Supply"
store nearby, they will usually do this for a reasonable charge. They can
also advise you on a timer however, you can most likely beat their price at
HD or W W Grainger.

Now, as far as day / night pump use, I suspect most of the respondents here
don't even own a pool. In the Atlanta area, in the early part of the swim
season, I run my pump during the day. This circulates the water warmed by
the sun. Later in the summer, the pool temp. can actually be too warm.
Then I run the pump at night to help cool it. Finally, if you need even
further cooling, you might consider buying a small fountain that can be
attached to the water "return" in the pool and operate it at night. This
will definitely lower the temp.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Most of them are rebuildable, new bearings, new capacitor, clean the
start contacts.
Some pool supply places do it as a service for about half the cost of a
new pump motor.
Any decent motor shop could do the same.