Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
BobK207

Default Swimming Pool Pump - 2 Questions

Matt Kruse wrote:
I have a 1hp pump for an in-ground pool. I don't know how old it is - we
bought the house almost 3 years ago.
I have 2 questions:

1) At the end of last season and again this spring, when I turn the pump on
it often just sits there and hums for a few seconds, then the breaker trips.
I have to go reset it and repeat a few times before finally the pump starts
to go. Then it works fine. It's just starting that is a problem. Does this
mean I need a new pump? Or just a new motor? Or is there something else
wrong?

2) I'd like to have a timer hooked up to the pump, so it automatically
starts and runs overnight. Hopefully this will save on some energy cost from
leaving it run longer than it really needs to. How expensive are there, and
how difficult are they to hook up? My pump is attached to the a switch
mounted on the wall behind it so its accessible.

Thanks!

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com

Matt-

The pump impeller or shart seal might be "frozen".

Usually there is an exposed shaft coupler between the motor & the
pump; if there is is you can grip it with a pair of channel loc pliers
or vise-grips. Grip the coupler & give the shaft as much turn as you
can in both directions.

The shaft should turn freely, if it does not (at first) then the pump
was the problem.

If it was free then the motor is the problem.

Give it a try & see if this fixes the problem.

In the old days pumps & motors were rebuilt but now they're usually
replaced but they can still be repaired.

If you live in or near a reasonably sized metro area there will be a
motor repair shop.

You can wire in a timer is series with your current switch

Timer (clock) turns power to switch on & off; having the swith in the
circuit as well allows you manually control pump as well.

Intermatic is one of the major control mfrs

http://www.intermatic.com/

here is my best guess of the unit you need

http://www.intermatic.com/?action=prod&pid=8818

but checkout the specs, it will control a single 220v load (just the
pump)

if you have a heater to control as well you'll need a two cirucit timer

http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=174

where to buy

http://www.intermatic.com/locator.asp

(no I don't work for Intermatic but have used their timers for years)

cheers
Bob