Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne

Default Consumer Reports and choice of stainless kitchen sink - C-Tech-I?

I would go with a composite granite sink. They are quiet and SS always
looks dirty one hour after cleaning it!

You are spending big bucks doing the countertops and undermount sinks
are VERY difficult to replace so why cheap out there over a 100 bucks?

Check out this site

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/blancogranitesinks.html

Wayne

nopcbs wrote:

We are doing an updating of our kitchen that includes a Silestone
counter top and new sink. The counter top is plenty expensive enough,
so I do not want to buy more stainless sink than I need. As always,
when I don't know about a consumer product choice, I check Consumer
Reports. The last time they did kitchen sinks was in ~2002. They
bought a whole bunch of them of all types and prices. For the
stainless set, they found there was NO correlation between
price/gauge and dent resistence or resistence to scratching or
noisiness. That's with 18 to 23 gauge steel. And the noise pads made
no reliable difference in noise, either. They ended up no even
ranking the brands as there was no correlation of anything with
brand. This is NOT what the Home depot/Lowes people say about gauge
thickness, they always claim the thicker gauge will scratch less
which is ridiculous since scratches are a function of hardness, not
thickness. End of credibility for them.

This CR result is not what I expected, but I do like the result. Means
no point in blowing $500 and up on a sink when a $200 one will very
likley work as well in all regards. I never could understand why a
piece of press-formed stainless should cost the many, many hundreds of
dollars (even thousands) some of these things cost, anyway.

So, I've been checking e-Bay and the Italian C-Tech-I brand seems
attractive. I can pick up a nice one or two bowl undermount for about
$200. Other brands are close to $100.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on C-Tech-I sinks?

Thanks.

- GRL