Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Jet mini opinions: VS or not?

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm helping my brother get back into turning and he's pretty sure that the
Jet
mini is what he wants...
His problem is that he likes the size and low noise level of the mini but
sort
of likes the reeves drive on my Jet 1442... but no store that we went to
had a
mini with VS to look at..

If the minis have a weakness, it's the minimum speed. Without the VS, it's
500. Fast for some roughs near capacity. Logically, the variable would
allow lower speeds. Illogically, it does not.

As I don't turn above 680, nor below 360, nor am I able to turn in between
on turnings from 400mm bowls to ornament finials, it would be a waste of my
money. Reversing? makes no sense to a power sanding type and on
cross-grained bowls. Long-grained stuff would result in cross-grain in
either direction, so it also appears to be something I can do without.