Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

Default For outdoor redwood chair: polyurethane? oil? ???

On Thu, 04 May 2006 14:03:32 GMT, "roemax"
wrote:

Just sand it and let it weather to gray color

You mean sand off the polyurethane? It has already weathered to grey.

no coating is needed for natural look

Yes, I know. But is it needed for protection?

red wood has natural affinity to rot, much as cedar does

But even redwood will last longer if protected, no?

I assume you meant "resistance", right? ;-)

a penetrating clear finish will also protect and weather to gray color

Do you mean an oil finish? Any recommendations for outdoor use?

marine varnish will have to be done nearly every year
polyurethane, for the most part ,is not designed to be used in an exterior
application
any surface building finish will require the most maintenance

Meaning, poly, varnish, lacquer, etc., right?

Do oil finishes "build up"? With a good oill finish, would I just
clean the chair, maybe lightly sand, and reoil? How often?

Thanks

--
For email, use