ERich10983

Default I guess I'm part of the problem

it's quite depressing, I've come to the conclusion that one of my main
goals
has been to eliminate employees' jobs.

A good deal of my career has also been to eliminate jobs. But, as
justification, most of those were jobs that people shouldn't be doing anyway.

Working at GTE Sylvania in Maine, it seemed that every time we grew more
efficient, we had to take on more people because we could cut costs on are
automotive and lighting products.

The present job is a machine to place hangers on plant pots. Doesn't sound
like much of a deal except that a greenhouse might have to do 6 million of
these in a short growing season. Rows of ladies lined up ruining their wrists
is not a pleasant sight. Automation is a real plus here even though some might
not have this low paying job. There are lots of other examples where
automation benefits people and society over the long haul.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH