Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

Default For outdoor redwood chair: polyurethane? oil? ???

My wife has an Adirondack chair that her son made for her two years
ago. It is made of redwood and originally had a polyurethane (satin)
finish (no stain).

Since then, it has been on the back deck in the weather. The sides
that get the sun are completely faded to grey and the finish is almost
gone. I know redwood holds up well to the weather, but I am afraid
that it will slowly deteriorate and be ruined if we (I) don't do
something.

The question is, what is the best way to go?

We recently had the house painted and I asked the painter. He said to
use an oil and suggested (I think) "teak oil". Did he mean "tung" oil?
He said it will have a nice natural look. It will need to be redone
avery 1-2 years, but is easy to do with light sanding. Of course, we
will need to sand the polyurethane finish off first (ugh).

I have tried to talk her into painting it white, but she wants the
weathered look. (sigh)

What about a tougher polyurethane? Is there a marine version that is
more weather resistant?

Thanks for the help.

--
For email, use