Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default How long to dry freshly cut wood?

"Toller" wrote in message
I have heard a rule of thumb for 1 year/inch. (I understand that is
dependent on humidity, temperature, air circulation, species, etc. and I
have to get a moisture meter to know what is going on; but that is all
besides the point of my question)

I cut some 3' 3x3s from wood that wasn't any good for boards. Might need
them for table legs someday, who knows. Will they take 3 years to dry (or
at least three times as long as the 1" wood) or will being square make
them dry faster?

Rule of dumb. Outdoors, New England, no central heat or air. Wood skidded
after sufficient snowfall, sawed in spring after planting, used next
winter, because that's when a farmer could work for cash. Means it dried
say six-seven months.

First, back to the fpl site, where you'll find that the inverse square rule
applies. Double the thickness, almost four times the time to equalize.
Believe they say "more than three." Second, evaluate the grain direction.
I'm presuming you have heartwood, but not boxed hearts, or you might as well
plan on burning them this fall. Lots of curvature means lots of
distortion. Flatter is better, and flat and parallel to the sides is usable
nearly green with little penalty.

Sticker and keep in open shade, bring in for the winter, with stickers for
all side access, use in the fall.