Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Default No sealer before polyurethane

wrote:

1. When you say "diluted poly" diluted with what?

Probably mineral spirits (paint thinner), but check the label under
"Thinning". If label says "Do Not Thin", look under "Cleanup".

2. When you talk about steel wool - what grade? I went to home depot
and found several gradations. And what is the pupose of using steel
weel between coats?

I don't use steel wool until the final rub out, so I'll defer to the
person who mentioned it. I prefer lightly scuffing with 320 grit on a
felt block between coats to knock down dust nibs and provide "tooth" for
the next coat.

When you use steel wool, unfold it, and make sure the wool fibers go
_across_ (as opposed to with) your rubbing direction. This allows the
wool fibers to properly cut. If you rub parallel with the fibers, you
risk creating deep scratches that may show through the final finish.

Don't forget the test board!

A lot of this stuff doesn't apply to water based poly.