Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default High Voltage Wire Nuts?

Screw terminal blocks have their own share of problems, as far as I
know it's not legal to use them for household wiring in the US.

How are wires connected to switches and socket outlets? Surely by screw
connection?

They have a large screw to wrap the wire around and then cinch it down,
or the kind I like have a screw that pushes a clamp down. 99% of houses
are wired using the silly backwire friction fit terminals, now those
*do* cause fires, they'd be illegal for sure if the trade unions didn't
have such a big influence on the code, they certainly are quick to
install. I have some UK electrical hardware and it does have advantages,
but nothing quite like it is available here. I really do like the little
terminal blocks on sockets and plugs.