Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

Default Where to buy "draw bar" for trailer

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I am looking to fir a draw bar onto my trailer so as to make it a
little longer to accomodate a box to put my gas bottles in.

what I think I want is something that is either U section or
rectangular section so that i can bolt one end of it where the hitch
currently bolts on and bolt the hitch onto it. length will be about
600mm.

As I will be bolting the trailer end of it to a flat plate, I think
rectangular section might be needed, as if I use an inverted U then
then it might spread (though I could put a solid spacer under i
suppose.

Assuming you can make any sense of the above,

Where is the best place to buy the "bar"? Steel Stockholders? Trailer
supplier? Metal fabricators?

And what should I buy? I haven't measured the hight and witdth of the
hitch yet, but I would imagine I am wanting something like 50mm wide by
60mm high.

50mm x 50mm 3mm wall box section from any steel stock holder's off cut rack

However by placing gas bottles so far in front of the axle it will
considerably increase the nose weight of the trailer possibly to more than
your car allows and also maybe make the trailer unstable

Further there will be considerable stress at the joint of existing and new
bits. Better to replace the whole existing draw bar part of the trailer

Tony