Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Default How small a gap can a mouse get through?

In article , Andy Wade
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Explain what "proving dead" is please. The mouse certainly was in my opinion
but I am not a vet.

That process of checking that conductors or equipment that you are about
to work on and that you /think/ you've isolated *really* is dead. A
proper formal procedure (e.g. to comply with the EAW regs) involves
using a test lamp or voltage indicator and proving that the indicating
device itself is working both before and after the test.

Plenty of hits on Google, e.g.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/elecatwork.html

We used a thing called an earth stick when I worked with TV transmitters
15 off kV at serious currents. Lotsa charged capacitors that would
regain a bit of charge. One bloke thought he had gone through the "SIDE"
routine Switch off, Isolate, Dump the capacitor charge, and Earth

Except the Isolate weren't done and someone as a temp measure had
inadvertently bypasses the switches. A most amazing BANG!!!

Gave the poor sod such a fright and the rest of the factory some
amusement....
--
Tony Sayer