Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
(snip)
Some of your category descriptions are too vague. Druggies? If you kid was
going to college to learn broadcasting, and was offered a job in Rush
Limbaugh's studio, can I assume you would not allow this because Rush is a
drug addict? Immoral? Would you let your kid work as an intern with some

of
our congressmen, knowing that at any moment, you'd probably read that they
were being indicted for one thing or another? What makes you think a

Mexican
in a top-notch restaurant kitchen fits any of your labels?

Quit trying to put words in my mouth, Doug- I said or implied nothing of the
kind. Being the offspring of immigrants, I am quite familiar with the
nose-in-the-air condescending attitude of some Nth generation whitebreads.

I have absolutely no problems with Mexicans, Hispanics, or any other ethnic
group of self-or-externally identified name. As a kid working construction,
I crossed paths with lots of Spanish-speaking casual labor and tradesmen. I
don't speak Spanish, many of them spoke little English, but as far as I
know, we got along fine. I was just the kid humping supplies, or picking up
trash. Most of them made me look bad with the amount of work they turned
out. As to your other examples, you know bloody well what I meant- street
people of whatever background or ethnicity- the ones that regard a new
teenager on the block as fresh meat. The type of people who could put a
gullible kid at risk with proximity to violence, recreational
pharmecuticals, disease vectors related to drug use or coerced sex, ad
infinitum. Of course white collar druggies and corrupt politicians are scum,
but they are far less likely to put a kid at actual risk, with the
occasional exceptions like the young lady Teddy drove off a bridge. The risk
could be offset by the education of seeing how success means more than
money, and even famous people can do stupid things.

aem sends...