Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Default How long to dry freshly cut wood?

wrote:
Nope. I've heard 1 month/inch. I'd sticker it, cover it on top and to
block direct sun, on the S side of the house, open to the wind. Then
after June, July, and August (except in Puget Sound area) declare it
seasoned and air-dry. YMWV

It depends on what kind of wood it is too. Examples:

1) I bought some freshly-cut koa while I was in Hawaii two years ago.
Each piece is 2" x 8" by 25" long. It took a full 2 years for it to be
ready to work, as indicated by the moisture-content meter.

2) I bought some 2" thick slabs of freshly-cut redwood burl in
November. It's ready to use now -- actually it was ready after 4 months.

But the 1-year-per-inch rule is probably good for most hardwoods. This
is for air-drying properly stickered wood.

--Steve