Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Halogen uplighter electricity usage

David Hearn was thinking very hard :
We have a 300W halogen up-lighter with built in dimmer. It also has a 50W
bendy spotlight with dimmer.

I'm aware that 300W is a lot of electricity, and in fact, it's too bright
when on full - we tend to have it on 50% or less.

Does dimming a light reduce the electricity usage? Part of me says yes, but
another part of me is less sure.

I'm thinking of looking for a 150W lamp to go in there which would be more
reasonable - especially if dimming has little effect on electricity
consumption.

Thanks

A lamp is at its most efficient cost v light output at its full
brightness. Dimmed it will certainly use less electricity, but the
reduction would not be as much as you would get by simply reducing the
lamps wattage.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)