Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Correct curcuit?

The neutral and ground are not allowed to be connected together (with
few exceptions) other than at the service. The neutral connection to the
ground bar at the disconnect is a code violation.

I agree it is a code violation, but why?
Normally it is prevent grounds from being energized unnecessariy; when they
are connected to the neutral there is a potential to get a shock off the
ground.
But in this case the wires (or so I presume) go directly from the disconnect
to the breaker box. There is no chance for anything unfortunate to happen;
so why is it a code violation (except that it is...)