Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

I for one would
pay a little more money to support our own workforce.

But, who would get this extra money if we kicked all illegals out of the
country? Have you ever seen the backbreaking work involved in harvesting
certain crops? Would you want your kids to do that kind of work?

Ah, then explain the cotton gin! I wonder how
many people went around screaming that the country
would come to a halt if there weren't any slaves
to pick cotton.

Start with the ones who wore blue uniforms in the Civil War. Slavery
was an issue long before the Civil War, and not legal originally in ..
was it Georgia or South Carolina? Funny, but the original wealth in
this country came from furs, sugar and tobacco. So immoral now )

The simple fact is that ingenuity would probably
find a solution cheaper than the current back
breaking stoop labor if illegals were not
available. I think one could make a tight
argument that illegals are inhibiting progress.

Folks will work as hard as they need to if they can gain from it. When
the money doesn't meet their needs, like the minimum wage for couples
with a family, there is no use. The argument that a decent minimum wage
will ruin business is baloney. If flipping burgers paid $10/hr, and the
burger joint cost $100 in wages per hour, rather than $60, they would
probably sell MORE burgers and the wage earners would earn more money to
spend at WalMart and Home Depot (whatever happened to anti-trust laws?
Too Liberal?) American wages will sink to the level of developing
nations before we can compete again, and by that time much of America's
wealth will be owned by others. Land values in my town are already so
high that cops and teachers can't afford a home here, and the pols keep
bending over backward to kiss up to the developers - giving away our
country for a vote.

I don't often agree with you... but you make an excellent point here, one
which I plan to borrow for future discussions. Hope you don't charge
royalties... :-)