Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default Which quick change tool post set for this lathe?

In article JF36g.14302$O_6.5601@trnddc08, says...
Thanks guys.

The catalog says, "may need to machine t-nut". I don't see any dimensions
for the t-nut specifically, and even if there were I doubt it would make
much difference with this old lathe. I guess what I'm getting at is I
suspect I will need to modify the t-nut to fit this lathe?

That's a very safe assumption.

If that's the case, I don't have a mill, and I don't have a 4 jaw chuck for
this lathe. Can I rig a way to "machine" the t-nut with just a three jaw??
How about grind or file the nut?

One way around butchering the t-nut until you come up with a way to do
the job properly is to cut out a rectangle from a piece of stock that'll
fit in the wide part of the t and fasten a stud to that. One
complication is that I think the AXA uses an unusual stud size (9/16
UNF?). I used a 1/2" stud welded into a piece of flat stock when I
mounted my used AXA until I got around to making a proper t-nut and
stud.

Ned Simmons